Discover the stamp of Andorra Castell Saint Vicenç Enclar. Just above the old town of Santa Coloma stands the Roc d’Enclar, a small rocky mountain which, thanks to its geostrategic location, has allowed a visual control on the bottom of the valley since ancient times (the first traces of human presence date from the Bronze Age – 1800 to 1500 BC) and until the 19th century. The paréage, signed in 1278 between the Comte de Foix and the Bishop of Urgell, stipulated, inter alia, that the work of fortifications in progress should cease and that the existing building should be destroyed. Thus, from the castle that stood at the time on the Roc d’Enclar, only the foundations remain, only the church could be restored faithfully.
Issue Date: 06.05.2017 Designer: Stéphanie GhinéaIllustrator: Photo: Fons Patrimoni Cultural d’AndorraProcess: OffsetSize: 30 x 40,85 mmValues: 1.10€
Bosnia and Herzegovina
The old town Vranduk is located in central Bosnia in the valley of the Bosnia river, at a high scarp and inaccessible cliff. From the 14th century this town was ruled by a governor, and afterwards by a king, the only fortified town in the Brod parish. In written documents it is mentioned for the first time in 1410. It was taken over by the Ottoman Empire in 1463 up to the annexion of B&H from Austro-Hungarian reign in 1878. After 1890 the castle is no longer used as a military – strategic point.
The old town of Počitelj is located in Herzegovina, on the left side of the Neretva river, built on the rocky cliffs that steeps down towards the river. In the Middle ages it was the centre of the Dubrava parish and has a very significant strategic value. It was by all assumptuons built in the period of the Bosnian king Stjepan Tvrtko I. Kotromanić (1383 – 1391). In written documents it is mentioned for the first time in 1444. In 1471 it becomes part of the Ottoman Empire to which it belongs up to 1878. Following the establishment of the Austro-Hun- garian rule in B&H Počitelj loses all strategic significance and rapidly disintegrates. (Željka Šaravanja)
Issue Date: 09.05.2017Designer: Kristina Ćavar Printer: Zrinski d.d. Čakovec Size: 35,50 x 25,56 mm Values: 3,00 BAM
Bellinzona’s castles and their forti ed walls form part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Their history dates back to the Palaeolithic Period. In the Middle Ages, they were initially intended to pre-vent the Swiss from gaining ground to the south. But in 1503, Bellinzona chose to withdraw from Milanese rule and in- stead joined the Swiss Confederation. In the following years the fortresses were used against the south.
Castelgrande – depicted on the right-hand stamp – is the oldest of the three castles and was rst mentioned in 590. From 1506 it became the seat of the federal gov- ernors of Canton Uri.Castello Montebello is the forti cation in the middle. It was built towards the end of the 13th century, just as the Gotthard Pass was becoming the most important route across the Alps. It was home to the governors of Canton Schwyz.
Castello di Sasso Corbaro, shown on the left, is the smallest and newest of the three castles, but enjoys the most elevat- ed position. In 1506 the castle fell into the hands of Canton Nidwalden and re- mained there until it was passed on to newly founded Canton Ticino in 1803.
Issue Date: 11.05.2017 Designer: Davide Ackermann, Lugano Printer: Gutenberg AG, Schaan, Liechtenstein Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: Stamp: 40×28 mm, Sheetlet: 190×142 mm (4 rows of 5 stamps)