Archaeological Treasure: Tombstone
During the archeological excavation on the site Pod- vornice in Lištani near Livno, the graves from the late Croatian and late Middlea Ages were found. Among the finding, the tombstone with the Croatian cyrilic of the middle 12th Century was discovered; it was discovered in the tomb where it served as a side slab. Two de- ceased were buried in the tomb, a male died between 35 and 40 and a female died at the age of about 60.
The epitaph testifies that the glagolist priest Tje- hodrag was buried in the grave and that five of his sons were killed in one year. It is assumed that the priest Tjehodrag was a family man and as a non-Latin priest he could have legitimate wife and childred in a „valid but not in a permissible way“. This epitaph tesitifies about presence of the Glagolitic priest in the middle age in
the Livno area who served liturgy in the Churchslavonic language and glagolic script. The tombstone with the epitaph of the priest Tje- hodrag is a permanent exhibition of archeological finds in the Francisician museum and the gallery Gorica Livno in Livno. (Željka Šaravanja)
Issue Date: 12.05.2017 Designer: Manlio Napoli Printer: Zrinski d.d. Čakovec Size: 25,56 x 35,50mm Values: 0,90 BAM
150th Anniversary of the Franciscan Monastery Reconstruction
On April 4th 1867 the bishop father Anđeo Kraljević blessed the foundation stone of the reconstructed Franciscan monastery on Humac. The monastery is not only the heir to the medieval monastery St. Katherine in Ljubuški but also an oasis of religious, educational, cultural, social and historical remembrance. Historical documents testify that Franciscans in today’s Herze- govina are present almost eight centuries. The famous archeologist, explorer and historian father Petar Bakula writes: Herzegovinian mission (Franciscan province), takes the place amongst the first missions in the Fran- ciscan order. It came into existence in the first 20 years after the foundation of the well-known „Order by mis- sionary ventures“. According to this, Franciscans had arrived to this area in 1231. During centuries the num- ber of Franciscans has been increasing and monaster- ies, churches and other sacral objects were being built.After the Ottoman incursion, the demolition of the St. Katherine monastery and other sacral objects had fol- lowed and surviving Franciscans sheltered themselves in Zaostrog. From then up to 1702, and thereon from Kreševo worked on the spiritual upbringing of the Hu- mac area. In 1867 they had begun with the reconstruc- tion of the Franciscan monastery on Humac that to this day joins its history and presence, building and upbring- ing a future in which it will surely in immense steps continue a powerful, educational, pilgrimage, economi- cal and tourist development, preserving the wealth of tradition and a healthy nature. (Friar Andrija Nikić)
Issue Date: 04.05.2017 Designer: Magdalena Džinić Hrkać Printer: Zrinski d.d. ČakovecSize: 35,50 x 25,56 mm Values: 0,60 BAM