New Stamps on Railway Theme

Austria:Gleichenberg Railway

austria-railway-stampFor the past 85 years the Styrian towns of Feldbach and Bad Gleichenberg have been linked by a standard-gauge electric railway. The Gleichenberg railway is now to be presented on a commemorative stamp from the “Railways” series.

In terms of distance, the line between the two towns is signi cantly longer than the road. This is because the railway line was designed to connect as many places as possible via the railway network: the single-track line covers approximately 21.2 kilo- metres and includes eleven stops between the two termini, with the journey lasting around 35 minutes. The railway line was originally planned at a much earlier date: a project of this type was considered as early as 1886, but it was not until the 1920s that construction work started. The line nally became operational on 15th June 1931.The train also offers a pleasant view over the beautiful surrounding countryside. The “Jungle Express”, as the railway is dubbed due to its route through valleys, forests and meadows, also offers special features for tourist such as culinary trips, the ability to take your bike with you or a “Sternderlzug” to the Advent market. You can also listen to the “Sounds of Nature” on the train if desired.

Today the Gleichenberg railway is operated by the Styrian provincial railway (Steier- märkischen Landesbahnen). One electric locomotive and two electric rail cars are in operation, all dating from the 1930s and having been lovingly restored. The design on the stamp shows the electric rail car ET 2 in Maierdorf station.

Issue Date: 07.10.2016 Designer: Peter Sinawehl Illustrator: Photo by Gerald Bendrien Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH Process: Offset Size: 42 x 32.25mm Values: €1,70

Croatia: Narrow Gauge Steam Locomotives

croatia-locomotives-stampsModel number 207:The locomotive model no 207 is a tender locomotive functioning on the saturated steam system. It was built in 1949 at the Đuro Đaković Factory in Slavonski Brod.  From 1951 it was used in the mine Rudovci and then in the Tile and Brick Factory Ilovac in Karlovac. It was withdrawn from traffic on 1 December 1966. In 1993 the locomotive was donated to the Croatian Railway Museum by the Technical Museum of Zagreb.The power of the locomotive was 26 kW (35 KSi), its length was 5.312 mm, its weight 8.87 t, and the highest allowed speed 20 km/h

Series JDŽ/HDŽ/JŽ 83-106(SHS/BH Stb IV a5 1138)   :The locomotives of this series were built for hauling of light freight and passenger trains on narrow gauge tail tracks of 760 mm in Bosnia and Hercegovina. They were constructed by Austrian engineers by reinforcing one kind of steam locomotive which was already hauling trains on local lines in Austrian Alps. In the period between 1903 and1929 the locomotives from this series were built in Austrian factories Krauss in Linz and Jungenthal in Sieg and in the period between 1948 and 1949 ten locomotives from the series were produced also in the Đuro Đaković Factory in Slavonski Brod for the needs of Yugoslav Railways. At first the locomotives were built using compound system on saturated steam and later the system of superheated steam. Their special features were round steam distributors, Heusinger steering, handbrake and vacuum brake Hardy, water filter and chimney Kobel.

The locomotives of this series were known in public under the name  „Ćiro“ and they hauled trains on the narrow gauge railway network in Bosnia and Herzegovina; they were coming to Croatia from Drvar, hauling trains  through  Lička Kaldrma and Strmica to Knin, as well as from Mostar to Metković, Ploče and Dubrovnik. After Second World War on the narrow-gauge railway Split-Sinj (the so called rera of Sinj) several of these locomotives were used as replacement for the locomotives of the series JDŽ/HDŽ 186. In Croatia one locomotive remained preserved from the mentioned series with the mark JDŽ/HDŽ/JŽ 83-106 (SHS/BH Stb IV a5 1138). The locomotive was built in 1916 in the Krauss Factory in Linz, Austria; from 1918 it was used in Bosnia and Herzegovina and later also in Croatia.  It was withdrawn from traffic on 18. February 1975. During the period of its use the locomotive covered in total 3,778,505 kilometres. The locomotive is exhibited at the train station Ploče, and makes part of the fundus of the Croatian Railway Museum.

The power of the locomotives from this series was 254 kW (345 KSi), the length with tender  13,700 mm, the weight of the empty locomotive 32.5 t, the weight of the locomotive in function 36 t  and the highest allowed speed 35 km/h.

 Helena Bunijevac, Professor

Issue Date: 03.10.2016 Designer: Miran Šabić and Ana Sladetić, masters of art from Samobor Printer: Zrinski d.d., Čakovec Process: Multicolour Offset Size: 48.28 x 29.82 mm Values: 9.50HRK x 2

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in Commemorative Stamps, First Day Cover, History Behind A Stamp, New Stamps, News, Themes, World and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>