Historic Streets of Gibraltar
Street names in Gibraltar became official in the 1870s, when street signs (in English) were first erected by the police. Up until then, streets had no official name and were therefore referred to either by their function or relevance, after some landmark or building on the street, or after an important property owner in the street.Issue Date -10 October 2016
The Royal Gibraltar Post Office has been operating for over 150 years with Gibraltar’s first stamp being issued in 1886. There are pillar boxes located all over Gibraltar and the stamps depict a pillar box from each reign: Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George V, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth II. A pillar box is a type of free-standing post box. The United Kingdom also exported pillar boxes to countries that ran their own postal services, such as Argentina, Portugal and Uruguay.
Mail is deposited in pillar boxes to be collected by the Royal Mail, An Post or the appropriate postal operator and forwarded to the addressee. The boxes have been in use since 1852, just twelve years after the introduction of the first adhesive postage stamps (Penny Black) and uniform penny post.
Mail may also be deposited in lamp boxes or wall boxes that serve the same purpose as pillar boxes but are attached to a post or set into a wall. According to the Letter Box Study Group, there are more than 150 recognised designs and varieties of pillar boxes and wall boxes, not all of which have known surviving examples. The red post box is regarded as a British cultural icon. Issue Date -10 October 2016
UNESCO Gorham’s Cave Complex
Gibraltar’s Gorham’s Cave has been granted World Heritage status. To mark such an achievement we are pleased to issue a set of 5 commemorative stamps which has been developed in very close cooperation with the The Gibraltar Museum.
Gorham’s Cave is a natural sea cave in Gibraltar, considered to be one of the last known habitations of the Neanderthals in Europe. Gorham’s Cave gives its name to the Gorham’s Cave complex, which is a combination of four distinct caves of such importance that they are combined into a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The three other caves are Vanguard Cave, Hyaena Cave, and Bennett’s Cave.
It is located on the south-eastern face of the Rock of Gibraltar. When first inhabited some 55 thousand years ago, it would have been approximately 5 kilometres from the shore, but, due to changes in sea level, it is now only a few metres from the Mediterranean Sea.Issue Date-20 September 2016