700 Years of Schärding
In 2016 Schärding is celebrating a round anniversary: exactly 700 years ago, in 1316, the little village in the Upper Austrian Innviertel was elevated to the status of a town. Over 5,000 years ago the area of the Inn where the town currently stands was already being navigated by ships. Schärding was first mentioned in historical documents as Scardinga in 804. In 1248 the Bavarian Wittelsbachs became the rulers of the village, which gained considerable economic significance as a result of the trading of salt, ores and other goods via the Inn. In 1316 Schärding was finally granted its town charter. Nowadays the town has around 5,000 inhabitants and is a member of the “Kleine historische Städte” (small historic towns) association. The typical buildings for the town date from the Baroque era. Many house fronts are built in the so-called Inn- Salzach style: false façades conceal the roof and turn the buildings into a closed row of houses. The colourful façades with the sweeping gables characterise the town’s appearance to this day, with the Late Baroque Silberzeile, which is the subject for the stamp design, being particularly well-known. The different coloured façades can be traced back to the medieval guilds, each of which was assigned a particular colour e.g. blue for bakers, red for butchers.
Issue Date: 04.06.2016 Designer: Karin Klier Illustrator: Andi Bruckner (photo) Printer: Joh. Enschedé Stamps B. V. Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 31,8 x 50 mm Values: 0.80 EUR
Austrian Sculpture Park Museum Joanneum
The Austrian Sculpture Park in the Styrian town of Unterpremstätten, seven kilo- metres south of Graz, is a very special open air museum. Austrian Post is now featuring one of the works exhibited there, the concrete boat, on a commemorative stamp.
The idea of creating the Sculpture Park came from former ORF regional director Emil Breisach, who started exhibiting sculptural works by Austrian artists on the ORF site in Graz in 1981. The aim was to make contemporary sculptures accessible to the public outside the confines of a museum. In the year 2000 the International Garden Show, designed by Swiss landscape artist Dieter Kienast, was held in Unterprem- stätten, and the venue proved to be perfect for use as a sculpture park. The Austrian Sculpture Park private foundation was set up, and the concept of an international sculpture park, designed by Christa Steinle and developed by Peter Weibel, was presented to the public in 2003.
Issue Date: 15.06.2016 Designer: Marion Füllerer Printer: Joh. Enschedé Stamps B. V. Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 50 x 31,8 mm Values: EUR 0,68