This year the ÖAMTC (Österreichischer Automobil-, Motorrad- und Touringclub, Austrian Automobile, Motorbike and Touring Club) celebrates the 120th year of its existence. The Austrian Touring Club (ÖTC) was founded in 1896, followed by the Austrian Automobile Club (ÖAC) in 1898. In 1946 the two combined to become the ÖAMTC, which nowadays represents the interests of car drivers and (motor)cyclists and provides its members with many different services. The club provides its members with numerous services in the event of accidents and other incidents at home or abroad, ensuring that they enjoy that “great feeling of being part of the club”.The legendary Marcus car depicted on the stamp is about the same age as the automobile club. Siegfried Marcus (1831–1898) was an automobile pioneer, an innovative inventor and a brilliant designer, who, in addition to his car, made numerous engines and other technical apparatus, tools and instruments.
Issue Date: 20.01.2016 Designer: Cornelia Seirer/David Wuchte Printer: Joh. Enschedé Stamps B. V. Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 42 x 33,35 mm Values: EUR 0.68
200 years of the Oesterreichische National Bank
“Privilegirte oesterreichische National-Bank” was founded as the domestic central bank. The main reason for establishing the bank at that time was to restore order to the Austrian monetary system, which had been destroyed by the Napoleonic Wars. In 1878 the National Bank of Austria became the Austro-Hungarian Bank, operating branches in all parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Its tasks included, among others, the introduction of the Krone in 1892, the new currency gradually replacing the Gulden.
When the monarchy fell, the National Bank of Austria was re-established in 1922, once again with the aim of stabilising the monetary situation and counteracting the post-war inflation. In 1925 the country was again given a new currency as the Schilling was brought in. During the time of the German Reich the independent institution was liquidated and all its stocks of gold and currency had to be sent to Berlin. However, in 1945 the National Bank of Austria was once more able to take up its former task, and the so-called “Schilling law” restored the Schilling as the legal tender of Austria. Since 1925 the National Bank of Austria has been housed in the impressive building on Otto-Wagner-Platz in Vienna’s Alsergrund district which is depicted on the commemorative stamp. In the foreground two figures from the relief at the main entrance can be seen: Mercury, the messenger of the gods and the god of commerce, and Fortuna, the goddess of fate and fortune.
Issue Date: 18.01.2016 Designer: Herbert Wähner Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 42 x 42 mm Values: EUR 1.00