200 Years of Vienna University of Technology
From architecture to civil engineering, electrical engineering to information technology and mechanical engineering – with around 28,000 students and approximately 4,500 members of staff, the TU, the Vienna University of Technology, is the largest research and educational institution in the field of the natural sciences and technology in Austria. Founded on 6/11/1815 as the “k. k. polytechnisches Institut in Wien” (Royal and Imperial Polytechnical Institute in Vienna), Austrian Post is dedicating a commemorative stamp to it on the occasion of its 200th anniversary. The aim at the time was to improve the education and training of engineers for the military, as well as for mine and civil engineering.
Issue Date: 06.11.2015 Designer: Nikolaus Schmidt Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Values: €0.68
The Red House
It is not only because of its fine traditional cuisine but also because of its historic and architectural significance that the Red House is today the symbol of the town of Dornbirn. Austrian Post is dedicating a commemorative from the series “Catering with tradition” to this long-established restaurant. The building in the style of a Rhine Valley house on Dornbirn’s market square was built in 1639 on the instructions of Michael Danner and his wife Verena, nee Rhomberg, as a residence and hostelry combined with a dance hall to replace the presbytery that had burnt down. However, from the very start it was also a place where celebrations were held, transactions concluded and politics made. The family coat of arms – a fir tree and lion – still decorates the pediment on the front of the building high above the large stairway. This open-air stairway is also of historical significance. It was here in 1771 that the official announcement was made that the town of Dornbirn had bought its freedom from the rule of the Counts of Ems. A characteristic feature and the source of the Red House’s name is the red colour with which the upper wooden part of the building is painted – in earlier days, ox blood was used for this purpose. Richly decorated window shutters and carvings on the underside of the pediment give the house its impressive appearance. Inside the building, too, there is a stylish atmosphere, with dark wall panelling, wooden ceilings, carvings, hunting rifles and century-old handpainted peasant cupboards creating a rustic and nostalgic setting, and the cosy parlour also contains works of fine art and popular art such as an old toboggan or a spinning wheel. In 1954, August Rhomberg, a descendant of the original builder, and his wife Elfriede acquired the house and had it professionally renovated while retaining the old stylistic elements. The building has now been listed for over 50 years. In 2007, it was once again adapted and restored without losing its charm and atmosphere. Today, the Red House is an extremely successful restaurant that offers not only traditional cuisine but also international specialities in a nostalgic setting. Particularly famous is the traditional Dornbirn Mohren beer mustard and cream soup, served with slices of fried sausage and black bread. An ice cream parlour producing its own ice cream is also popular with those with a sweet tooth, and the spacious beer garden is directly on the Dornbirn market square. The commemorative shows the traditional hostelry with the unmistakable red paint, the huge pediment and the decorative window shutters, while in the foreground a plate of veal medallions in red wine sauce with potato gratin are an invitation to stay a while and enjoy.
Issue Date: 06.11.2015 Illustrator: Regina Simon Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Values: €1.50