International Year of Soils 2015
The lighthouse of Elliðaey stands on the Heiðnaberg cliff in Breiðafjörður. It is the fourth in the row of lighthouses built on Heiðnaberg since 1902. The second lighthouse was erected in 1905 but later deemed inadequate, and 1921 saw the construction of a new lighthouse. Thirty years later a concrete lighthouse was built in Elliðaey, and powered with solar energy in 1991. The Elliðaey lighthouse is one of the two triangular lighthouses in Iceland, the other being the Stokksnes lighthouse. The height of the lantern above sea level is 45 m while the lighthouse itself is 8 meters high.
The lighthouse of Æðey (Duck Island) in Ísafjördur was built in 1944 and taken into use in 1949. An English lantern was installed at that time. It was 3.5 meters high, fitted with a copper roof and a 250° dioptric lens, 500 mm in diameter. Electricity from the main power grid was installed in 1988. The lighthouse of Æðey is a concrete cylindrical and conical tower, 9.3 m in height. The tower balcony supports the lantern on a concrete foundation. The lighthouse was originally plated with quartz but coated with white sealant in 1987. Engineer Axel Sveinsson designed both of these lighthouses.
Issue Date: 10.09.2015 Designer: Örn Smári Gíslason Illustrator: Friðrik Örn Hjaltested (photo) Printer: Joh. Enschedé Security Print Process: Offset Litho Colours: 4 Colours Size: 40 x 30mm Values: 153 ISK, 180 ISK