Historical Postal Vehicles : Cariole Carriage Letter Post
In the early days of the mail under Maximilian I, only horseback messengers were used, but towards the end of the 17th century the first horse-drawn carriages entered operations, and could also be used to transport passengers. Under Maria Theresa and Joseph II, finally, a regular mail service and the first express mail carriages were set up to serve important cities in the surroundings such as Prague and Trieste. These mail carriages had fixed routes, departure times and fares, and enjoyed certain privileges over private carriages, allowing them to be faster on cross-country routes. For the distribution of letters within cities, private delivery services were founded, such as the Kleine Post in Vienna.The name derives from the French word “carriole” for a cart. These light one-horse carriages were also used at an early stage in towns and rural regions for delivering post, using the term “cariole post”.
Until the arrival of the railways, the mail carriage remained the most important means of transport both for passengers and for letters and packages. In local urban traffic, the cariole carriage was finally replaced by the mail van and mail bicycles and mopeds.
Issue Date: 27.08.2015 Designer: Regina Simon Printer: Cartor Security Printing Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 100 x 60 mm Values: EUR 1.00
Modern Art in Austria:Anton Faistauer
This commemorative from the “Modern Art in Austria” series is dedicated to one of the most important painters of the Austrian Modern, Anton Faistauer from Salzburg.
Born on 14 February 1887 in Sankt Martin bei Lofer, Anton Faistauer was the son of a farming family. His poor state of health seemed to predestine him for a life as a priest, but even when still at school in Bozen/Bolzano, he began to be interested in painting. He then attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna from 1916 to 1909, where he also got to know major painters of the age such as Schiele and Franz Wiegele. Together with these fellow students, he left the Academy in 1909 in protest against its conservative view of art, and the young men together with a number of other artists to set up what was known as the “New Art Group”. Their first exhibition in an art salon on Vienna’s Schwarzenbergplatz was a major success, and was followed by further national and international exhibitions. The New Art Group included Anton Kolig, Albert Paris Gütersloh and Hans Böhler.
In 1919, Anton Faistauer, together with Felix Harta and others, founded the “Der Wassermann” artist group, in protest against the traditional art business in Vienna, and was also joined by writers. Anton Faistauer painted the portrait “Woman with a dark hat” in 1917, when because of his health problems he was allocated to “service without weapons” during the First World War. The oil painting is displayed in the Leopold Museum in Vienna.
Issue Date: 28.08.2015 Designer: Regina Simon Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH Process: Offset Colours: 4 Colours Size: 35 x 50 mm Values: EUR 0.68
Churches in Austria : Rankweil Basilika
From the “Churches in Austria” series, Austrian Post is this time presenting the Basilica of Rankweil in Vorarlberg, which rises mightily above the village.
It is a magnificent example of an early Christian church-castle. These were erected on almost inaccessible hills and surrounded by a ring of walls. Such an impressive Roman Catholic defensive church also sits on the Liebfrauenberg in Rankweil: the parish and pilgrimage church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Visitation. It was built as a castle-church around 700 A.D. and was the castle of the Carolingian and Frankish aristocracy’s administrators, subsequently the Counts of Montfort. After reconstruction following a fire and numerous reconstructions in Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque style, a Loretto Chapel was added in the middle of the 17th century. The separating wall was broken open 100 years later and a gilded Altar of Grace built in the gap. The special feature of the church is the courtyard in front of it with defensive walls and roof battlements, archers’ windows and a series of crenellations. From here, there is a wonderful view over the Upper Rhine Valley, a number of Swiss mountains, Liechtenstein and the Alps. At times, the parish church had an influence over large parts of the region around Lake Constance, extending into the Rhine Valley in Switzerland. Today, it is part of the diocese of Feldkirch and has been a Basilica minor since 1984.
Thanks to the Silver Crucifix, the stone of St Fridolin and the statue in the Chapel of Mercy, the Church of the Virgin, has become a pilgrimage destination. The statue was carved in linden wood by Johannes Rueland from the Allgäu in the 15th century.
Mary is represented on a crescent moon holding Jesus in her arms. The child is holding a golden walnut, a reference to his suffering but also to his function as the source of life.
The Silver Crucifix, which is attributed miraculous powers, dates from the 13thcentury. It is made of larch wood and was later covered with copper until a Feldkirch goldsmith secretly replaced it with silver in order to protect the existing silver votive gifts from having to be surrendered to the Emperor in Vienna. The crucifix is 131 cm high and weighs around 36 kg.
The Fridolin Chapel contains the stone of St Fridolin, who according to legend begged for mercy because he had been summoned to the Rankweil court. His pleading was so desperate that his knees and arms left an impression in the stone. Many people press their knees into these marks in order to relieve rheumatism. The figure of St Fridolin was only added in the 20th century.
Rankweil Basilica is also a stop along the famous Santiago de Compostela Path, which crosses the whole of Europe in the footsteps of St Jacob and ends in Spain.
Issue Date: 21.08.2015 Designer: Kirsten Lubach Printer: Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH Process: Offsetdruck/offset printing Colours: 4 Colours : 35 x 42 mm Values: EUR 0,68