Timbre Yann Kersalé – L’O
Timbre Le gouvernement belge à Sainte-Adresse 1914 – 1918
Between 42 and 44, Mary Jacobe and Mary Salome, relatives of the Virgin Mary, with other disciples were expelled from Palestine in a boat without oars or sail. They address in the Camargue, in this place that would become the town of Notre-Dame de la Mer and Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. To evangelize this wild area, they remain there until they die. Tradition preserves the memory of the place of burial on which is built a primitive church, then the church fortress (IX-XII century.): Spiritual refuge and equipment population In 1448, excavations within the church ordered by King René of Anjou, allow the discovery of the relics recognized as those of the holy women. King René then transforms the room chapel Guards “High” dedicated to St. Michael. This is where the hunts will now be based Saintes containing precious relics venerated during the three annual pilgrimages.
The brotherhood of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer founded in 1315 receives a mission to provide support to those in need and assistance to religious authorities in the organization of pilgrimages. During processions to the sea, the boat of the holy women is carried on the shoulders by members of the brotherhood, escorted by the herdsmen, surrounded by people. It is this image that is shown here on the postage stamp.