This year, three chapels of the mountain community of Triesenberg are depicted on the traditional stamps in the Christmas period. The “St. Theodulskapelle Masescha” (value: CHF 1.40) is mentioned in a document for the first time in 1465 and is thus the oldest Vals monument of the country. When it was built, the chapel was no doubt dedicated to Maria with Holy Theodor as a second patron. But people have always seen it as being dedicated to St. Theodul. This was taken into account in 2005 when the chapel was named after St. Theodul as the main patron saint by the Archbishop on the occasion of the 650-year anniversary “650 Jahre Walser am Triesenberg”.
The “St. Wendelinskapelle Steg” (value: CHF 1.00) has existed in its present form since 1907. The chapel was originally a shrine. In 1817, the shrine was enlarged to make a small chapel, which is the choir today. The nave was added in 1834 and the vestibule and round tower including the bell were built in 1907. Once the vestry was added in 1938, the expansion of the chapel as it stands today was completed.
Ever since 1951, the “Friedenskapelle Malbun” (value: CHF 0.85) has been a popular place of worship in the Alps. Liechtenstein’s highest House of God bears its name as a sign of gratitude that Liechtenstein was spared from the atrocities of the Second World War. The simple, stone-walled building with a shingle roof is considered an ornamental feature in the Alpine landscape and blends into its surroundings very well.