New Stamps of Croatia

Locomotives

\"croatiaCroatia issued stamps on steam locomotives on 1st October 2014.The period of steam locomotives in Croatia lasted for 126 years, between 1860 – when through Croatian territory railway traffic was established between Kotoriba and Čakovec, as part of the railway track Budapest – Nagykanizsa– Pragersko – and 1988 when the last steam locomotive was withdrawn from traffic.

In that period railway traffic in Croatia was operated with the total of 83 series of steam locomotives, built throughout the world. This is due to the fact that throughout history the jurisdiction over building railway tracks and managing the railway system were in hands of different railway managements that procured tow vehicles in accordance with their own traffic policies.In Croatian territory the locomotives were used in passenger and cargo traffic for more than 70 years, until 23 September 1988, when from the railway station Pakrac the locomotive JŽ 51-144 towed the last train and so marked the end of steam towing in Croatia.

Croatia Benedictine Monastery of St. Nicholas

Croatia issued  a special stamp to mark the 950th anniversary of the Benedictine Monastery of St. Nicholas in Trogir on 30th September 2014.\"croatia

Fenced monastery complex within the town tissue represents a unique combination of different elements of town houses and towers, fortification walls and city gates, enclosed courtyards with porticos and the monastery church with the bell tower by Tripun Bokanić, a local master from the island of Brač.Trogir is the smallest town centre on Dalmatian coast, shaped within the atmosphere of the antique metropolis Salona and the medieval town of Split. Exceptionally important for the Trogir is the founding of the women’s Benedictine monastery of St. Nicholas in 1064, the oldest monastery of the Benedictine Sisters in Dalmatian towns.

The nucleus of the monastery develops in the harbour, next to the Lord’s Gate and the small early mediaeval church of St. Domnius, outside the Trogir city walls. The founding of the monastery is connected with the activity of the Bishop John of Trogir (Ivan Trogirski) – a contemporary of the archbishop Lawrence of Split and the Kings Petar Krešimir IV, Zvonimir and Koloman – who was considered saint for the miracles which occurred during his life and after his death.

This oldest women’s Benedictine monastery in Croatian territory with the continuity and tradition of closed order community of almost one millennium is precious heritage from the historical, monumental, culturological and spiritual standpoint.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in History Behind A Stamp, New Stamps, News, Themes, World and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>