Macau has issued a set of stamps to celebrate the 140th anniversary of the Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital, from which the public will better understand the Hospital’s history and its development.
Completed in 1874, the formerly military hospital, Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital is commonly known as “The Hill-top Hospital”. The architecture of the Hospital is a phenomenal representation of the British neo-Gothic design of a famous Belgian hospital. It was considered to be one of the largest continental palatial architecture in South China at that time. The magnificent 150-meter-tall building became Macao’s most recognizable structure. The Hospital was renamed in 1937 to commemorate its founder Conde de Sao Januario.
Today, Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital spreads over 30,963 square meters of land, with a construction area of 83,723 square meters. It consists of 5 inter-linked blocks and is equipped with a helipad. To improve the local healthcare services, hospital staffs continuously undertake academic exchanges overseas. In keeping pace with the rapidly advances healthcare technology, the Hospital has also introduced telemedicine in its diagnostics and medical technology.