· This is the first time Royal Mail has commissioned a painted portrait of
Her Majesty The Queen
· The portrait was painted by artist Nicky Philipps, who also painted the
double portrait of Princes William and Harry for the National Portrait Gallery
· Royal Mail has gifted the portrait to the Royal Collection
· The Summer Opening of the State Rooms, Buckingham Palace and the special exhibition – The Queen’s Coronation 1953 – runs from Saturday, 27 July to Sunday, 29 September.
· The Coronation Special Stamps are available online at www.royalmail.com/royalportraits by phone on 08457 641 641 and in 10,000 Post Offices across the UK
The portrait specially commissioned by Royal Mail to mark the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Her Majesty The Queen, has gone on display as part of the annual Summer Opening of the State Rooms, Buckingham Palace.The annual Summer Opening which includes the special exhibition – The Queen’s Coronation 1953 – runs from Saturday, 27 July to Sunday, 29 September 2013.
The 1st Class stamp in the Coronation Special Stamp issue features the head and shoulders section of the portrait; however visitors to Buckingham Palace will have the opportunity to see the full-length, 8-foot high portrait on display in the Throne Room.
The painting is the result of three especially convened sittings with The Queen for the artist Nicky Philipps that took place in the Chinese Dining Room at Buckingham Palace in the late autumn of 2012. The Queen is dressed in the Order of the Garter robes.
Nicky painted a double portrait of Princes William and Harry in 2009, which is displayed in the National Portrait Gallery. She was selected for the Royal Mail commission after research and consultation with the National Portrait Gallery,
Royal Mail has gifted the portrait to the Royal Collection.
For almost 50 years, Royal Mail’s Special Stamp programme has commemorated and celebrated events and anniversaries pertinent to UK heritage and life. Today, there are an estimated 2.5 million stamp collectors and gifters in the UK and millions worldwide.
Previous Royal stamp issues
· Aug 2000 Queen Mother’s 100th Birthday (new photographic commission)
· Feb 2002 Golden Jubilee
· Apr 2002 Queen Mother’ Commemoration
· Jun 2003 50th Anniversary of Coronation
· Jun 2003 21st Birthday of Prince William of Wales
· Jun 2005 Trooping the Colour
· Apr 2006 Queens 80th Birthday
· Oct 2007 Queen’s Diamond Wedding Anniversary (incl. new photographic commission)
· Feb 2012 Kings & Queens Series – House of Hanover
· Feb 2012 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – Definitives
· May 2012 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – Special Stamps