The postal history of Portuguese India goes back to the earlier days of the colony. The postal history begins with communication between the Viceroy and the Court at Lisbon soon after the conquest of Old Goa in 1510. Letters, written in triplicate, were carried by separate ships because of the hazards of the voyage. Mail was carried by an overland route, as well. The early communications of Portuguese India had an official character and the correspondence is now to be found in museums and governmental and ecclesiastical archives.
These are some beautiful aerograms of different values depicting different monuments of that era, which date back to 1951 – 1955. They had a special border in the front and an attractive print at the back which is only found on these airletters. The opening of these from the back are also in a way different from our normal inland letters.