La Poste issued, a stamp on 21st Sep 2012 on the city of Verneuil-sur-Avre in Eure , € 0.60. Return on an exceptional heritage of \”the most beautiful detours in France.\” Verneuil-sur-Avre was founded in 1120 by the son of William the Conqueror, Henry IBeauclerc , Duke of Normandy and King of England.
The city, formerly known as Verneuil-sur-Perche , is also its energy in its history. She has been conflict between the English and the French during the bloody episodes of the Hundred Years\’ War, still with traces of fortifications, moats and remnants of a dungeon, \”the Tower Grey\” , erected by PhilippeAuguste. It is July 20, 1449 as Verneuil-sur-Avre is really French. Several decades, the city is ranked among the \”most beautiful detours in France\” the Haute-Normandie region by the guide Michelin .
Post honors this year Verneuil-sur-Avre by issuing a stamp that highlights the architectural heritage of the city, in this case around the Madeleine and the library Jérôme Carcopino . At the heart of the city, the Church of the Madeleine date twelfth and fifteenth centuries – construction in two phases. High 56 meters, s a landmark tower – pictured on the stamp and first day cancel – has a Gothic architecture and beautiful stained glass windows. library Jérôme Carcopino – the name of a famous French historian and archaeologist – is a turreted house dating from the Renaissance. Its facade is made of flint stone representing a checker board. This is a house listed historical monument , as well as the church.