Back in the heyday of steam, for every glamorous express like the Flying Scotsman, there were a hundred little-known locomotives plying the nation’s railways; serving commuters and quarries, holidaymakers and factories. Cared for by a vast army of drivers and firemen, engineers and mechanics, they were part of British life all the way through to the 1960s.Classic Locomotives of Scotland is the second Special issue in series of four to commemorate these unsung workhorses of the railway network. The series began with Classic Locomotives of England in 2011 and will continue with Northern Ireland and complete with Wales in future issues. Like the rest of the series, Classic Locomotives of Scotland features superb archive photography of steam locomotives, in both the Special Stamps and the Miniature Sheet border. As befits such an important Special issue, it also includes a beautifully written and lavishly illustrated Presentation Pack.
1st Class – BR D34 Nos. 62471 & 62496:Two former North British Railway 4-4-0, “Glens”, LNER and BR Class D34, 62471, Glen Falloch and 62496 Glen Loy at Ardlui on 9th May 1959, the West Highland Line from Glasgow to Fort William and Mallaig. They were built by the NBR at Cowlairs in 1920/21 to the design of W P Reid.
68p – BR D40 No. 62276:Former Great North of Scotland Railway, Number 48 and LNER// BR class D40, 4-4-0 62276 “Andrew Bain” in July 1950. The GNSR used 4-4-0s for most of its traffic. “Andrew Bain” was built in 1921 by The North British Locomotive Company to the design of T E Heywood.
£1– Andrew Barclay No. 807:Andrew Barclay Sons and Company of Kilmarnock manufactured industrial locomotives. They could be found at collieries, shipyards and industrial sites. Number 807, Bon Accord, was built in 1897 and belonged to the Aberdeen Gas Works and is seen working along Miller Street, Aberdeen in June 1962.
£1.10– BR 4P No. 54767:Highland Railway, 4-6-0, LMS and BR, No 54767 Clan Mackinnonis seen at Kyle of Lochalsh on a fish train. These locomotives were among the last Highland Railway locomotives to remain in active service. They were designed by Christopher Cumming and built by Hawthorn Leslie.
Technical Details:Date of Issue- 8 March 2012 Design- Delaney Design Consultants Acknowledgements -BR Class D34 Nos. 62471 and 62496 at Ardlui, 9 May 1959, photographed by E Russell © Colour-Rail; BR Class D40 No. 62276 at Macduff, July 1950, photograph by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow City Council; Andrew Barclay No. 807 at Aberdeen, June 1962 © Robin Hogg; BR Class 4P No. 54767 at Kyle of Lochalsh, October 1948, photography by Cyril Herbert (ref 10449465) © NRM/SSPL; (background image) LNER Class K2 2-6-0 crosses Glenfinnan Viaduct, 1947 © CRL Coles/Rail Archive Stephenson (ref: RAS-481) Stamp Format- Landscape Sheet/Stamp Size -Sheet 179mm x 74mm Stamp 41mm x 30mm Printer -Cartor Security Printing Print Process- Lithography Number per Sheet- 4 Perforations -14.5 x 14 Gum PVA