Stamp on 100 years of commonwealth parliamentary association will be released on 8th Aug. 2011.The CPA was founded in 1911 as the Empire Parliamentary Association and its affairs were administered by the United Kingdom Branch. The original member Branches were Australia, Canada, Newfoundland, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom. Evolving with the Commonwealth, the CPA in 1948 adopted its present name, changed its rules to enable all member Branches to participate in the Association’s management, and established a separate Secretariat to manage its affairs.
Today’s resurgence of parliamentary democracy is evident in the growth of the CPA. In the last decade, more than 50 new Parliaments and Legislatures joined or rejoined the CPA. Active CPA Branches now exist in 175 national, state, provincial and territorial Parliaments, with a total membership of approximately 17,000 Parliamentarians.In 1989 the CPA created the constitutional posts of Patron and Vice-Patron. H.M. Queen Elizabeth II, as the Head of the Commonwealth, consented to become Patron. The Vice-Patron is normally the Head of State or Government of the Branch hosting the coming plenary conference.
The CPA is an Association of Commonwealth Parliamentarians who, irrespective of gender, race, religion or culture, are united by community of interest, respect for the rule of law and individual rights and freedoms, and by pursuit of the positive ideals of parliamentary democracy. The Association’s mission is to promote the advancement of parliamentary democracy by enhancing knowledge and understanding of democratic governance.