By Virendra Dhundhara
The first postal activities on the island delivered mail from boats originating from Venezuela or Curacao. Mail was delivered to Aruba\’s major port, Oranjestad. As soon as new mail arrived it was communicated mouth to mouth upon the population. People used whatever transportation they had available to pick up their mail – horses, donkeys, boats, and often by foot.
In 1892 the governor in charge was assigned the responsibility of delivering mail, and given the title of Director of Post.While the first official location of the Post was in Plaza Daniel Leo, it has since moved to numerous different locations – Fort Zoutman and what is now known as the Foreign Affairs Office are just two examples. In 1958 the main post office was moved to J.E. Irausquin plein # 9, and has remained there since. The building was designed by the Manager of the Department of Public Services, Mr. A.A. van Ammers. The building reflects the design elements of earlier decades, namely 1930 – 1950.
On September 1, 2005 Post Aruba N.V. was privatized. Through privatization the main goal of Post Aruba was to become an integrated company, not only delivering letters and parcels, but offering a broad variety of new products while playing a key role in all communication needs on the island. As well, the initiative was addressed to increase the efficiency of all operational processes, and became free to launch new services, while maintaining high international standards.