Live Report From INDIPEX 2011 Pragati Maidan New Delhi By Anil K R Pujara, Anurag, Virendar, Abishek Jalan
INDIPEX 2011 has completed three days of its itinerary today. The overall scenario at the Pragati Maidan, New Delhi, the venue of the World Philatelic Exhibition, is little more improved compared to the first day. The chaos and mismanagement reported by Philamirror has perhaps been taken care of by the concerned authorities and organizers and the improvement became visible today. But this is still quite insufficient and philatelists are facing many different types of problems.
Here are the highlights of the 3rd day of the event;
1. There are practically no arrangements for sale of special covers.
2. No arrangement exists for the cancellation of special covers.
3. Despite much publicisizing and tremendous response the \”Service of My Stamp\” was interrupted up to 1:30 pm. There was no clear reason appeared for such interruption and authorities could not explain. This concept although caught maximum attention en mass but India Post could never estimate and understand the response and service delivery mechanism. What a pity!!
4. The confusion of place of special cover has prevailed throughout the day.
5. Crowd visiting included indians and foreign national both were almost at the cross-roads the whole day. It was utter chaos in there and authorities are almost dumb on it. This non-responsiveness was quite visible when a gentle lady from abroad was seen screaming at the authority and there was no one to take care of her. At last she left saying that it was her last visit to India.
6. Another confusion regarding sale of first day cover of legendary heroines of India was observed everywhere. FDC of this issue was sold at Rs.500 each in the morning but was subsequently reduced and money was refunded to people.Why this has happened? What to say of the India Post in this regard!!!
7. Postal officials sitting at the cancellation counter were completely non-cooperative and reclusive. Misbehavior was an omnipresent phenomenon here. The cacellation of FDCs was conducted by the India Post officials based on their own whims and wishes. These officials were behaving as if they are the only authority of the subject.
8. The only pleasant visibility today was that special cover released today were made available for sale today itself.It was not this way yeasterday. But previous day special cancellations were nowhere to be seen.
9. Some countries such as Turkish Post, Takjikistan / Krgyzstan Post, Sweden & Denmark Post, Venezuela Post, Malaysia Post and China National Philatelic Corporation did not put seal impression on notebooks or philatelic passports brought to them by school children or people who could not afford to buy stamps to put on the passport. They were turned off as they even charged money amounting up to 60 rupees for the blank impression. This could have been in more humanitarian way. Not everything is business afterall !!
10. There was a marked difference observed in the type of cancellation seals used by many nations e.g.Turkey. These are real beautiful seals and the way their officials are putting the seals of cancellations is worth appreciating. On the contrary, India Post cancellation seals are of extremely poor quality, non attractive and the way India Post officials put them is really pathetic as if they are oblizing you !