The stamps designed by artist Hakan Sjostrom feature M/S Alandia and M/S Apollo.
Alandia was built in 1939 as M/S Basto in Moss, Norway. The ship had been in Norwegian service for many years and even been used by the German army for troop transportation in 1944, Alandia ran under the name Alpha and was the first roll-on/roll-off car ferry operating in Aland ferry service.
Apollo was delivered in 1970 from Jos. L. Meyer Schiffswerft in Papenburg, Apollo served for Viking Line from May 1970 until March 1976, when she was sold to a Danish shipping company. Today, Apollo operates in Canada where she provides service for the Woodward Group under her original name Apollo.