On 11 January 2011, Jersey Post will issue a set of stamps featuring a selection of coaches which have graced the roads of Jersey in years gone by. The title of the issue is \’Jersey Transport III – Coaches\’.
Horse-drawn excursion \’cars\’ began to operate during the mid-nineteenth century, offering daily trips around the Island. As time moved on, car ownership was rare and coach tours were as popular with locals as they were with the wealth of tourists arriving as passengers on the mail boats from England.
In July 1940, the Occupation by German forces put an end to coaches being used for civilian purposes; they commandeered them for their own use. However, after the Liberation of Jersey, the coach operators resumed business full throttle and new coaches began to arrive in the Island again.