The construction of this castle was initiated by the Belarusian magnate Yuri Ilinich in 1520-ies near the village Mir (Grodno region). Being one of the best examples of the Belarusian fortress building engineering of the 16th century the Mir Castle was for many centuries used as a residence for Belarusian magnates. Since 1569 till 1828 the Mir Castle was owned by the dukes Radziwill. Then the castle passed into the hands of the dukes Wittgenstein and their heirs.
The Sviatapolk-Mirski family was the last owner of the Mir Castle (1891-1939). Then it became state property. Since 1987 the Mir Castle is a branch of the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus. In 2000 the Mir Castle was included into the UNESCO World Heritage List.