American Stamp Dealers Association, Inc. (ASDA) on its website categorically features the model code of conduct for stamp dealers. Such a model code of conduct for Indian Stamp dealers could also be thought of as there exists none as on today.
There is a need of more discussion and debate on the issue of defining and implementing a model code of conduct for stamp dealers in India in the overall interest of the philately.
For all our readers here is the model code of conduct of the ASDA;
The ASDA Code of Conduct
Membership in the American Stamp Dealers Association is a privilege extended to those persons and organizations deemed worthy, and is not a right. Membership may be continued unless the Board of Directors determines that the conduct of a member has been such, that in the best interests of the ASDA, the member should be suspended or his or her membership terminated.
As a guide to all members this Code of Conduct has been duly adopted by the Board of Directors under the authority vested in it by the constitution and by-laws of the American Stamp Dealers Association.
1. I will support and be subject to the constitution and by-laws of the American Stamp Dealers Association and such amendments, resolutions and policies as may be established.
2. I will abide by all federal, state and local laws related to philatelic matters.
3. I will conduct myself so as to bring no discredit to the American Stamp Dealers Association, or to diminish the prestige of the membership therein.
4. I will neither buy nor sell philatelic items of which the ownership is in doubt and will promptly report to the proper law enforcement agencies information on suspected stolen material.
5. I will correct promptly any error I may make in any transaction.
6. I will assist in the prosecution of violations of law pertaining to philatelic matters, of which I have knowledge, and will report promptly to the proper law enforcement agencies any violations.
7. I will properly, carefully and honestly grade and describe all merchandise offered for sale by me and indicate any faults, defects, restorations or alterations that may exist, to include indication of canceled to order material.
8. I will immediately refund on any item sold by me where the description was either inaccurate or misleading if the return is made within a reasonable period of time.
9. I will publish and make available my terms of sale so that all clients have an opportunity to become familiar with them.
10. I will hold intact, pending written acceptance from the seller all merchandise sent to me for offer, and should the offer by unacceptable promptly and carefully to return it to its proper owner.
11. I will honor any buying prices that I have published within a reasonable period after their publication. Price lists will include a statement as to expiration of offer or give an actual expiration date and explain any limitations.
12. I will make prompt cash refund on all \”out of stock\” or returned merchandise.
13. I will advertise for sale only those items that are available to me at the time the advertisements are placed.
14. I will provide all consignors or merchandise with a contract stating my legal commitments.
15. I will pay for all material I purchase according to the terms of sale at the time of purchase.
16. I will not sell, produce, nor advertise counterfeit material in any form in violation of law.
17. I will never substitute or alter material submitted to me without the consent of the owner.
18. I will abide by the \”terms of sale\” and will publish Prices Realized within a reasonable time after a public auction.
19. I will conduct myself according to accepted standards of morality and courtesy in all philatelic activities not specifically cited in this code.
20. insofar as possible I will use the ASDA logo in my advertising.
21. If I should be found guilty of unethical or unlawful conduct, the record thereof may be disclosed to other philatelic societies of which I am a member.
22. I will submit any dispute, controversy or claim concerning philatelic transactions in which I may become involved to arbitrators mutually agreed upon by the parties. The decision and award of the arbitrators will be binding on all parties and judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrators may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof..
A member shall be required to subscribe to the following pledge upon joining American Stamp Dealers Association, Inc.
\”As a member of the American Stamp Dealers Association, Inc., I recognize my obligation to the public pledge:
1. To buy and sell at prices commensurate with a reasonable return on my investments and at prevailing market conditions.
2. To give advice to my clientele in philatelic matters to the best of my ability.
3. To refrain from dealing in stolen philatelic and counterfeit material, and to furnish buyers of repaired, re-gummed, re-perforated, restored reprinted or otherwise altered philatelic material with a complete written statement showing in detail the nature of the changes and alterations in such material.
4. To purchase philatelic material from the public at reasonable prices, with due allowances for my risk and prevailing market conditions; to be truthful in my advertising; to refrain from denigrating my competitors; and to make no false claim to a policy or practice of generally underselling competitors.\”